Des Peres Hospital History
A Tradition of Improving Care
Since our founding in 1948, the members of Des Peres Hospital have had the goal of providing quality, personalized health care for the St. Louis area. Our facility has served the needs of our community since 1974, including emergency room (ER), inpatient and outpatient care.
Innovations in Care Through the Years
Des Peres Hospital has a tradition of constantly improving our standards of quality:
- In August 2008, Des Peres Hospital became the first hospital in Missouri to offer the Versant RN Residency program. It helped address nurse retention and improve the acclimation of new registered nurse graduates.
- In December 2008, we expanded our Bariatrics Program to add laparoscopic gastric bypass and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.
- In November 2009, we introduced single-incision surgery for gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy) and other more common general surgery procedures. This technique allows for the potential of no visible scar, as opposed to traditional methods with multiple incisions.
- That same month, Des Peres Hospital introduced below the knee atherectomy for patients with peripheral arterial disease (PAD).
- In December 2009, we opened our geriatric emergency rooms, providing specialized care for those 65 and older.
- In May 2010, we expanded our wound care services.
- In July 2010, balloon sinuplasty became available at Des Peres Hospital, providing minimally invasive relief for sinusitis sufferers.
- In September 2010, ER wait times became available online for the first time, because every minute matters when you’re ill or injured.
- In May 2011, therapy for those at-risk for falls became available as part of Des Peres Hospital’s outpatient physical therapy services.
- In October 2012, a new outpatient wound care center was opened to treat patients with chronic or non-healing wounds.
- In January 2013, Des Peres Hospital became the first in the St. Louis area to offer MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing. This advancement provided less invasive and more advanced knee replacement options to patients.
- In September 2013, Des Peres Hospital performed our first surgery using the da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System. The system offers the potential for less scarring and blood loss and improved patient recovery times.
- In June 2014, we expanded our use of capnography for monitoring patients using patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) to regulate pain. This strengthens patient safety by continually measuring patient breathing and alerting medical caregivers when life-threatening respiratory depression occurs.
- In August 2015, Des Peres Hospital’s MyNewSelf Bariatric Medical and Surgical Institute began offering the ORBERATM Managed Weight Loss System. It assists adult patients suffering from obesity.
- That same month, the MyNewSelf Program became re-accredited as a Comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). It acknowledges our commitment to meeting the needs of our bariatric patients by providing multi-disciplinary, quality, patient-centered care.
Find a Doctor
To find a doctor who’s right for you, use our online doctor search.